Candidiasis, is commonly referred to as “candida.” It is a fungal infection that can affect men and women of all ages in various parts of the body. It most commonly occurs in the mouth, ears, nose, toenails, fingernails, gastrointestinal tract and vagina and it can make you feel awful. Possible symptoms can include, bad breath, itching and body odor to persistent heartburn to arthritis. Due to its many and varied symptoms, candida is often ignored, undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.
1. Follow an anti-candida diet eliminating sugar, all fermented foods and yeasty, moldy foods. Prepare a Vegetable Broth and drink it 2-3 times a day while you are eliminating foods that feed candida, like grains, sugars, fruits, starches and alcohol. Do this for 7-10 days.
You should mostly eat fresh, organic vegetables that have been steamed. Remember to stay away from any starchy vegetables like carrots, radishes, beets, sweet potatoes and white potatoes, which may contribute to sugar levels and feed the candida. Continue to drink plenty of pure water, a minimum of 72 ounces per day, to help flush the candida and byproducts from your system.
During this time, no more than once a day, you can eat salads made from leafy greens (like romaine) or bitter greens (like chard) and topped with just a bit of coconut oil and apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice).
You can use bentonite clay to attract the toxins and efficiently remove them from your system.
2. Coconut oil can effectively fight candida due to its antimicrobial properties. The combination of lauric acid and caprylic acid found in organic, unrefined coconut oil kills off harmful candida through both ingestion and topical application.
3. Milk Thistle supplements help to cleanse your liver from prescription medications (steroids, birth control, antibiotics, as well as others), environmental pollution, heavy metals, and the remnants from both chemotherapy and radiation. Milk thistle, along with the candida diet, can help your body recover and create an environment where candida ceases to thrive.
4. Vitamin C helps to boost adrenal glands, and helps to restore your immune system. Take 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C twice per day.
5. Berberine is the alkaloid contained in golden seal, barberry and oregon grape which is most responsible for the antibiotic therapeutic actions of these botanicals. Berberine exhibits a broad spectrum of antibiotic activity. Berberine has shown antimicrobial activity against bacteria, protozoa, and fungi, Berberine’s action against Candida pathogens is actually stronger than that of antibiotics commonly used for these pathogens. Berberine increases the blood supply to the spleen. This improved blood supply may promote optimal activity of the spleen by increasing the release of compounds such as tuftsin that potentiate immune function. Berberine also activates macrophages by priming and triggering them.
6. Pau d'Arco Tea. The inner bark of this South American tree has a long history of folk usage in the treatment of wide variety of afflictions. Researchers discovered that the active pharmacological agents in Pau’Darco included lapachol and a series of phytochemcials called napthoquinones. These quinones have strong microbiocidal and fungicidal actions and are highly effective against Candida albicans. Lapachol also has demonstrated anti-viral, anti-parasitic and anti-neoplastic effects.
7. Clove oil and oregano oil help to kill a variety of parasites and fungi, including candida, in the body.
Adding a couple of drops of clove oil, mixed with coconut oil during your cleanse, you can help to kill off the offending candida. Because this essential oil is powerful,it should only be taken internally for 10 days or less.
For oral thrush, use three drops of clove oil with one tablespoon of coconut oil and swish in the mouth for 20 minutes. Or put a drop on your toothbrush with your toothpaste.