Physicians Guy Abraham, MD, David Brownstein, MD, and Jorge Flechas, MD, have treated more than 4,000 patients with iodine supplementation. The protocol below is suggested by their writings and lectures. We acknowledge with appreciation their pioneering research and generous contributions to the field of Iodine Therapy. See references below the protocol.
"With Iodine Supplementation, hypothyroid and autoimmune thyroid symptoms improve. Cancer therapies are more effective when iodine deficiency is rectified. Most importantly, people feel better when the body is given the proper form and amounts of iodine." Dr. David Brownstein, MD
- "Iodine is not only necessary for the production of thyroid hormone, it is also responsible for the production of all of the other hormones of the body. Adequate iodine levels are necessary for proper immune system function. Iodine contains potent antibacterial, antiparasitic, antiviral and anticancer properties. Iodine is also effective for treating fibrocystic breasts and ovarian cysts". Dr. David Brownstein, MD
- "Some of the conditions that would benefit from adequate iodine supplementation are and are not limited to: ADD, Atherosclerosis, Breast Diseases, Excess Mucus Production, Fatigue, Fibrocystic Breasts, Hemorrhoids, Headaches and Migraines, Hypertension, Infections, Liver Diseases, Ovarian Disease, Parotid Duct Stones, Prostate Disorders, Thyroid Disorders, Vaginal Infections and more...." "Iodine, Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It."
Iodine and Companion Nutrients
*GET YOUR RBC SELENIUM TEST RUN PRIOR TO STARTING THE PROTOCOL. IF YOU ARE DEFICIENT, START TAKING SELENIUM. IF YOU ARE MID-RANGE, USE IT SPARINGLY AND RECHECK EVERY SIX MONTHS. IF YOU ARE ABOVE THE REFERENCE RANGE, NO NEED TO SUPPLEMENT BUT RECHECK EVERY SIX MONTHS.*
Start each supplement one at a time for 3-5 days before adding the next. This Way, If You Have A Reaction, You'll Know Exactly Which Supplement You Are Reacting To.
* Iodine: Lugol's liquid or tablets start with 6.25-12.5 mgs (for breast cancer you may start with 12.5 mg).
Lugol Tablets is the Lugol's formula in tablet form especially designed to avoid gastric irritation.
*Take Iodine in the morning, as it delivers energy to the body. It can be taken with selenium and must be taken with food for best absorption. (If you are using a zinc supplement, it can be taken with iodine and selenium.)
**Do not take Vitamin C with iodine. C must be at least 4-6 hours after iodine.**
**NOTE: YOU CANNOT OVERDOSE ON IODINE. THE BODY TAKES WHAT IT NEEDS AND EXCRETES THE REST**
*Breast Cancer and Thyroid patients find the "start low, start slow strategy" is the most effective in sensitive cases. How low? One drop of Lugol's diluted with 10 drops of water applied to the skin, per day or even per week to start.
Grey Thyroid Sea Salt For Salt Loading and Dosing. Salt Loading For the First 24 hours will help to minimize symptoms of detox. Continue salt loading or dosing as needed, if you are experiencing symptoms of detoxing.
* Vitamin C Powder (NOT Ascorbic Acid) - 2,000-3,000 mg/day (more may be necessary to detox bromide). *Take this at least 4-6 hours after iodine. C is NOT to be taken with iodine.)
Purchase Organic Vitamin C Powder Here: https://healingsolutionshealth.com/products/vitamin-c-powder-whole-food-organic
* Magnesium - Glycinate, 350mg/day. You can use Topical Magnesium with this.
(Magnesium relaxes and calms the body and is excellent to use/take at bedtime to help with relaxation and sleep.)
* Selenium For Thyroid (The most absorbable form and the least likely to become toxic is on the Healing Solutions Website.) 200mcgs/day or if you have Hashi's 200-400mcg/day
FOR FATIGUE: * 500 mg niacin (B3) twice a day (NOT niacinamide). Start lower to avoid flush. *Update: ATP Energy. ATP Seems to be helping some people who were not absorbing iodine efficiently. The combination of Vitamins B2 and B3 in sustained release form improves ATP (cell energy) production and enhances transport and liberation of iodine in target tissues. It may help improve muscle soreness associated with fibromyalgia when used with Lugol's. (ATP Energy are B vitamins. B vitamins deliver energy to the body so they should be taken by or before noon. B's have also been known to cause nausea, so these are best taken with food.)
* 100 mg Vitamin B2 three times a day. *See Update Above. ATP Energy as an alternative.
* A comprehensive vitamin and nutrition program.
* Feb 2008) Dr. Guy Abraham cautions that "excess calcium supplementation (2,000 - 3,000 mg/day) has been the most common cause of poor response to iodine supplementation."
24 Hour Iodine Loading Test
The Iodine specialists have recently discovered it is essential to have the 24 Hour Iodine Loading Test before implementing iodine supplementation in order to investigate the presence of a possible iodine absorption defect. If a patient has a normal or high Loading Test score in the presence of known iodine deficiency condition such as breast or thyroid disease, a defect in the Sodium Iodide Symporter (NIS) mechanism is suspected. The iodine taken during the loading test may pass into the urine unabsorbed giving a false normal reading. Follow your physician's iodine dosing carefully to see how the iodine test result changes.
* The doctors find that the most common side effects are usually resolved with 3 grams of vitamin C and/or the salt loading protocol.
* Be aware of iodine-related bromide detox symptoms. Symptoms of "bromism" may occur in some people. Patients are usually advised to cut back on iodine, *pulse-dose (see below) and salt-load more frequently. Iodine-related bromide symptoms may include but are not limited to: eye lid twitching, foot twitching, tingling in hands or feet, dark thoughts (e.g., there is no reason to live), depression (e.g., there is no reason to get out of bed), anxiety, emotionality, mouth and tongue sores and cuts or "sore mouth""different", acne,"bromide acne," "acne-like eruptions" without "coniform." (Some iodine users found zinc helps bromide acne.)skin "cuts", hair loss, brain fog, leg and hip ache (feels like arthritis), rash (bromaderma), metallic taste, sinus ache, cherry angiomas, runny nose, headaches, edation, lethargy, odd swallowing sensation (reported in old medical literature as "swollen glottis"), body odor (bromos is Greek for stench), unusual urine odor, dry mouth, ureteral spasm, frequent urination (mistaken for urinary infection), diarrhea, constipation, vision changes, irritability, increased salivation, dream changes, hormone changes, kidney pain, breast tenderness (transient symptom reported to resolve).
Important: The following protocol should be implemented only under your doctor's supervision and monitored with the appropriate laboratory work and thyroid studies. Report any side effects to your physician. Do not take iodine if you are allergic to iodized salt.
Salt Loading Protocol Is Used When There Are
Possible Bromide Side Effects
Orthoiodo supplementation induced and increased mobilization of bromine from storage sites, with increased urinary excretion of bromide. --Guy Abraham, MD
Certain iodine-literate doctors feel the bromide excreted by iodine therapy can be eliminated more efficiently by the chloride present in mineral-rich unprocessed sea salt. The salt is added to water in a specific way. Eating salty food is not effective. Table salt is only used in an emergency.
Many iodine takers found the Salt Loading Protocol devised by Dr.William Shevin (and presented at the February '07 Iodine Conference) to be effective in eliminating the side effects such as bromide sedation, acne, brain fog, brassy taste, mouth sores, frontal headache or other symptoms which occur in a small percentage of patients.
(Use Salt Loading 24 Hours before introducing Iodine, then on an as-needed basis to minimize any herxing/detoxing effects)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water. Follow immediately with 12-16 oz pure water.
* Repeat in 30-45 minutes if needed. May repeat again until copious urination begins.
* Observe subjective response (usually within several hours).
* Iodine Investigation Project participants have found 1/2 teaspoon salt dissolved in the recommended amount of waterworks faster than the 1/4 teaspoon dosage.
* Pulse dosing of iodine has often helped our participants with detox symptoms: taking a 48-hour break from iodine supplementation as needed seems to enhance the kidneys' ability to excrete bromide. These are only our observations as educated patients. Consult your own physician about your particular iodine regimen.
No consensus exists on how important the salt loading may be to an iodine therapy strategy if the patient does not have adverse symptoms. Be sure to ask your doctor before implementing salt loading or any medical strategy.
When Iodine detox symptoms occur, this helps clear toxins from the organs. Take a 48-hour break from Iodine supplementation as needed, to enhance the kidney's ability to excrete bromide and other toxins that get stuck in the tissues. Continue with the Companion Nutrients. Take Vitamin C throughout the day to bowel tolerance. , including ATP CoFactor or ATP Boost to enhance cell detoxification. Drink plenty of water. 25 mgs of zinc may help those with skin symptoms.
Symptoms of Bromide Detox
Sluggishness / Lethargy
Bromoderma (acne) on face and hands
Disturbance of color perception
Sensitivity to light
Diarrhea / Constipation
Extensor Plantar Responses
Body Odor / Sweating
References:1. Brownstein, Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It, (Third Edition) Medical Alternative Press, West Bloomfield, MI 2006. See drbrownstein.com.2. Abraham, GE, The Historical Background of the Iodine Project, The Original Internist 20053. Abraham, GE, Iodine Supplementation Markedly Increases Urinary Excretion of Fluoride and Bromide,
Townsend Letter 20034. Abraham, G.E., Brownstein, D., Evidence that the administration of Vitamin C improves a defective cellular transport mechanism for iodine: A case report. The Original Internist, 12(3):125-130, 2005[excerpt] Elevated bromide levels were observed in urine and serum samples, twenty times the levels reported in the literature in normal subjects(8,9). Mild bromism may have been the cause of the oxidative damage to the iodine transport system and the side effects to orthoiodo supplementation. Chloride competes with bromide at the renal level and increases the renal clearance of bromide (10,11). Sodium chloride at 10 gm/day for one week resulted in a marked increase in urine bromide levels, and a sharp drop in serum bromide. While on the chloride load, urinary frequency improves for the first time in 5
years, but fatigue worsened and she experienced facial and body acne. No significant change in symptomatology was observed while on Vitamin C. The responses of her symptoms to various treatments modalities by self-assessment are summarized in Table I. The treatment modalities are cumulative and added sequentially in the patient's management. Measurements of serum and urine bromide and iodide levels reported in this manuscript were performed by ion-selective electrode assay, following chromatography on strong anion exchanger cartridges, as previously described (3,7).
The statements above have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration. The supplements discussed are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Do not take iodine without the supervision of an Iodine-Literate Doctor who is qualified to interpret lab work in the context of supplementation. This protocol is intended as information only. The editors of this site are not medically-trained. Please consult your licensed health care practitioner before implementing any health strategy.The information provided on this site is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her existing physician. The contents of this page are copyrighted 2004-2013 by Breast Cancer Choices, Inc., a 501 (c) (3) Nonprofit Organization.